THE COMPLETE CV OF
Ar. David Yek Tak Wai (易德偉)
B.Sc.HBP(Hons), B.Arch.(USM), P.Arch. APAM, AIPDM, ALAM, RIBA, FHKICAdj. FMIArb, MIFireE, C.BuildE, FCABE, CertAdjCIPAA, FCIArb.
Chartered Architect (特許建築師),
Independent Arbitrator & Adjudicator (獨立仲裁員和審判員),
Civil Commercial Mediator (民用和商業調解員)
Claim Consultant (索賠顧問),
Fire Engineer and Expert Witness (消防工程師和專家證人),
Boutique Fengshui Consultant (地理/風水師).
Ar. David’s secondary area of practice besides architecture and interior design is alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in construction law and payment in construction related matters. He sets up DYA+C to undertake drafting of the various building and engineering claims, advises on disputes arising from such contracts and potentially appear as arbitrator and adjudicator to resolve these disputes.
Prior to his venturing into the area of ADR in the construction law and payment disputes in construction related matters, he had been actively practising as a Professional Architect, registered with the Board of Architect Malaysia (LAM), in his own architectural practice, David Yek Architect (DYA) for more than 17 years. His portfolio includes private residential, high-end mass residential high-rises, international schools, mixed development commercial and various industrialised data centres and factories. He was admitted to the Royal Institute of British Architect RIBA as a Chartered Member. Being a member of LAM, he was also elected as a member of the Institute of Interior Design Malaysia (IPDM).
Involvement in PAM
He occasionally sits in the ADR and Practice committee for the Malaysia Institute of Architect (PAM). Since 2021, he has been elected an Ordinary Council Member of PAM for the 2021/22 term and appointed Co-Chairman for both ADR-Committee and PAM Form Review Committee.
Having trained in both facilitative (via Malaysia Mediation Centre MMC) and evaluative mediation under the ACRE-model, he was admitted as a Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Accredited Civil-Commercial Mediator, with recognition by International Mediation Institute (IMI), as Certified-Mediator. In the ADR committee he is now responsible in setting up the mediation panel for PAM, as another avenue for dispute resolution for the construction industry in Malaysia. In collaboration with the RICS, he has been instrumental in promoting Evaluative Mediation Course among the Architects in PAM. As a result of this outreach, he has delivered a talk via zoom platform, through CPD Unlimited, on the topic of introduction to mediation in the construction industry.
Ar. David was appointed as adjudicator under the Malaysian Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012 (CIPAA) with the Asia International Arbitration Centre (AIAC). He thereon was admitted as a member of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MMIArb.). On the same note, he was made a Fellow of the HongKong Institute of Construction Adjudication (HKICAdj), ready to undertake adjudication under the SOPL(HK) regime. In the same capacity, he was admitted as an Adjudicator for HGCRA under UK-Adjudicators.
Ar. David, in his capacity as an architect has also acted as expert, consultant and party representative in domestic arbitrations and in the courts of law. While discharging his architectural role, he was accredited with the Building and Construction Authority of Singapore as a CONQUAS 21 assessor, where our domestic CIDB modelled it as their QLASSIC standards for construction. To put weight onto his resume as an expert especially on matter relating to fire risks, he was also admitted as the member of the International Fire Engineers (MIFireE). In conjunction with his involvement in PAM Council, Ar. David was admitted as a panel of Expert and Building Defects Forensic Inspector with the Architect Centre, a full subsidiary of PAM for building defects forensic work. In the same capacities he has undergone training with the Academy of Expert (AOE) UK, currently an AAOE.
Ar. David in his capacity as a professional well versed in the construction contract has since organised in-house training for Builders notably CIDB Class G7 Contractors on Building Contract Administration, Dispute Avoidance and Issues relating to the Building Codes. He also acted as Contract Advisor, Counsel and Party Representatives for matters related to Arbitration, Adjudication and Determination. On such capacity, he was elected as the Chartered Fellow, CBuildE, for the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (UK) FCABE.
In the arbitration front, Ar. David is in the progress of completing a LLM in Construction Law and International Arbitration from the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen (RGU), currently in his final year. Along this route he was elected as Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrator, FCIArb and as Fellow of Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators, FMIArb, joining rank with the panel of arbitrators, adjudicators, mediators and expert determiners in PAM and the AIAC.
As his continue effort to contribute back to the society, Ar. David has been involved in the various academia as guest lecturer cum critique for the various institution of higher learning domestically such as University Technology of Malaysia (UTM), University Tengku Abdul Rahman (UTAR), UCSI and Taylor’s University leading their design studios such as Dekon04 and Discourse in Studio Sem06. As a result of this experimentation, Ar. David delivered his conference paper in architectural education in the PAM International Education Seminar 2018 (PIES 2018). A post conference publication monograph by the same name, co-editor by Prof Robert Powell was published and available nationwide.
While in practice, Ar. David has a lasting encounter with Chinese Metaphysics Practitioner in his early career, namely collaborating with the established Grandmaster Yap ChengHai. As he succumbs to various inconsistent requirements of the FengShui practices, he opted to pick up the skill initially studying formally from the Academy of Chinese Metaphysics, led by JoeyYap to a level of achieving a Diploma to that effect. His thirst for the esoteric knowledge has brought him beyond such formal accolades that he seeks tutelage from other masters, such as the Thirteen Families beyond Singapore, HongKong and Taiwan. His interest has finally brought him to another level that enable him to practice professionally, as a founding partners of FengShui QuanYuan, an establishment of traditional FengShui practitioners which emphasized on results consistency and no nonsense policy.
With a diverse knowledge and experience in the Built Environment, as a Professional Architect cum Interior Designer, Arbitrator, Adjudicator, Mediator, Educator and a fellow practitioner of the esoteric arts of Chinese Metaphysics, he continues to investigate the successes and failures of buildings, urban and cultural references in his daily work while submerging himself in the intricacies of human relations in project management, dispute resolutions while delivering and carving the urban spaces.
1. B.Sc.HBP (Hons), School of Housing Building and Planning, University Science Malaysia USM.
2. B.Arch. (USM), School of Housing Building and Planning, University Science Malaysia USM.
3. B.AS. (NUS), partial credit from the Architectural School of the National University of Singapore NUS.
4. Diploma in FengShui, Mastery Academy of Chinese Metaphysics, Kuala Lumpur.
5. Certificate in Adjudication CIPAA 2012, Asian International Arbitration Centre AIAC, Kuala Lumpur
6. Certificate of Completion of Adjudication Accreditation Training, HongKong Institute of Construction Adjudicators HKICAdj, Hong Kong SAR
7. Certificate of Facilitative Mediation Module 1 and 2, Malaysia Mediation Centre, Bar Council, Kuala Lumpur
8. Certificate in Evaluative Mediation Level 1 and 2, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
9. Candidate for LLM Construction Law and Arbitration (Robert Gordon University); Avd.Diploma(CLArb)
10. Chartered Institute of Arbitrator (CIArb.) Module 3: Award Writing in International
1. Corporate Member and Associate of the Malaysia Institute of Architect PAM Kuala Lumpur
2. Professional Architect registered and Associate with the Board of Architect Malaysia LAM Kuala Lumpur
3. Corporate Member and Associate of the Malaysia Institute of Interior Designer IPDM Kuala Lumpur
4. Certified Assessor for CONQUAS 21 issued by the Building and Construction Authority of Singapore
5. International Chartered Member of the Royal Institute of British Architect RIBA UK
6. Fellow and Accredited Adjudicator of the Hong Kong Institute of Construction Adjudicator HKICAdj Hong Kong SAR
7. Fellow of the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrator FMIArb.
8. Member of the Institution of Fire Engineers (UK) MIFireE.
9. Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Association of Building Engineers (UK) C.BuildE, FCABE.
10. Certified and Accredited Adjudicator for CIPAA under the Asia International Arbitration Centre Kuala Lumpur
11. Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Accredited Civil-Commercial Mediator
12. Level 1 Certified Thermographer with the Infraspection Institute of Infrared Thermographer USA
13. Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
PROFESSIONAL COMMITTEES AND OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
1. Ordinary Council Member of the Malaysia Institute of Architect PAM for 2021-2022 term;
2. Co-chairman for PAM Dispute Resolution Committee ADR and Contract Review Committee;
3. Committee Member of the Malaysia Institute of Architect PAM Dispute Resolution Committee ADR;
4. Past Laurate of the ASEAN Student Fellowship from the Singapore International Foundation SIF
1. Studio Master / Lecturer in Architectural Studies Studio Semester 06 Taylor’s University.
2. Part Time Lecturer for UCSI Architectural Studio for Semester 03 B.Arch.Study.
3. Paper Presenter for the Future of Architectural Education + Practice PAM International Architectural Education Conference PIES 2018.
4. Invited Lecturer for Studio Semester 06, B.Arch.Study, Critique in the Dept of Architecture, University Tengku Abdul Rahman UTAR.
5. Invited Industry Professional Guest Critique for the B.Sc. (Arch) and M.Arch Programme in the Dept of Architecture University Technology of Malaysia UTM.
6. Invited Industry Professional Guest Critique for the B.Sc. (Arch) and M.Arch Programme in the School of Housing Building Planning, University Science Malaysia USM.
7. In-house training for Contractors, Sub Contractors and Builders for CIPAA Claims, Certifications, EOT and the various aspects of the Construction Laws
8. Private FengShui courses for QuanYuan FengShui, to train practitioner in entry level to application of FengShui principles in the Built Environment.
9. Speaker for PAM CPD-Unlimited